SC - Timeline of Food

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Jun 30 12:11:19 PDT 1998

My computer had to be reformatted, and i haven't been able to make the time
to rummage through the archive, but on the munich salt thing, the earliest
known salt mine is IIRC the Halstatd mine in Gernamy somewhere. The only
reason this springs readily to mind is my interest in early Celtic history,
and La Tene [ a lake settlement] and a graveyard and garbage midden in the
Hallstadt mine are the earliest groups to use the decorative motives
commonly ascribed to Celts. If memory also serves me, there were findings of
the breceltic Beaker culture also in the aea, so that would end up dating
settlement to abour 4000 BC or so. With the discovery of various trade goods
from the Hallstadt region on the southern side of the Alps, I dont have any
problem in any form of salt trade well into periods predating classical
medeterranean culture.
margali