SC - Timeline of Food

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jun 30 13:57:21 PDT 1998

 The most recent food timeline I know of is
>Trager's The Food Chronology, which is very impressive, but has a
>number of
>errors and is not fully cross referenced.  It too does not have a
>bibliography (not that I expect one on any timeline).

That's the one I was thinking of.

>As a point of interest, does your timeline have a reference to Kiva
>Han. According some (questionable) sources, Kiva Han was the first
coffee  house in Constantinople (about 1475).  I'm trying to determine if
the statement is true.
>Bear

No, I don't see that one.  Using the index, these are the coffee and
other drinkables entries I come up with:

The Arabian goatherd Kaldi credited with the discovery
			 of coffee			  850
The Shogun of Japan prohibits the drinking of tea		1350
First Coffeeshop opens in London			1632
Tea arrives for the fist time in Paris			1636
Coffee drinking becomes popular in Paris		1643
Opening of first coffee house in England, at Oxford		1650
Tea first drunk in England				1650
Drinking Chocolate introduced in London			1657
First London coffee house opened in St. Michael's
				Alley, Cornwall	1652
First German coffeehouse in Hamburg			1679
First Coffee house in Vienna				1683
Billiards introduced in Berlin Coffeehouses		1707
Coffee first planted in Brazil				1727
Brazil's economy collapses owing to over-production
				of coffee		1928

So, it contradicts itself, unless there is something significant in the
wording?  I went back to check that I had all of the entries just the
same as they are in the book.  Perhaps this is a case of too many
historians spoiling the pot?

Christianna