SC - Pine nuts

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 2 08:34:35 PDT 1998

>At 11:02 PM 01/06/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Pinon are from the pinion pine.  They are supposedly more buttery than
>>traditional pine nuts.  Thanks for the confirmation.
>>
>Hmm. As far as I am aware, there is only one type of pine nut - the pinion
>pine. As with other plants, there are regional variations, but it is the
>same species. BTW most pine nuts world wide come from China (ah trivia)
>
>Rowan

Hmmm... I always thought they came from Italy and from Utah.  My brother
used to live in Utah and there was someone who had a pine nut business and
sold them for $2 a pound.  They were still in the shells but the shells
were very thin, and if you put them in the microwave for a certain amount
of time the shells would pop off without hurting the nuts.  You had to
throw the container you popped them in out--it had what amounted to shell
tar on it, but it worked well.

 	Angeline

Lady Angeline di Aquila
email:alm4 at cornell.edu
Deputy Seneschal Dominion of Myrkfaelinn
  mka. Angie Malone       mundanely located in Ithaca, NY