SC - Roots

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jun 3 15:09:00 PDT 1998

Brid said...
<snip>
>I don't know how many people have driven through the agricultural parts of
>California, but if you saw how much of your produce is grown, you might stop
>eating it!  Fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. are all grown on properties that
>butt right up against major freeways and highways.  There is no attempt to
>protect the produce from emissions from the vehicles and run-off from the
>roads.
>If you have added lots of new clean material to your old dirt, and are not
>getting direct water run-off from the road, I'd plant a border of something
>tall and bushy to act as a screen against dust and emissions (maybe cosmos and
>love-in-a-mist?), and just do your gardening, if you aren't adding lots of
>pesticides, your plants are going to be as safe as anything that you get in
>the store.

Thank God I live in Canada where we may have a sight polution issue but not
near the problem it is in the states!

I never even considered this aspect of growing produce with the road
"butting" up beside the crop. Interesting thoughts come to mind of me
hanging out of a car going 100km/hr and snatching lunch. Now thats fast
food! <grin>

Micaylah