SC - Pine nuts

Thu Jun 4 11:29:50 PDT 1998

> I remember a beautiful book from my childhood, about life in a Hopi
> village-
> when it was pinon gathering season the people would go out, spread
> blankets
> under the trees and either hit the cones and limbs with sticks or have the
> children climb up in the trees and shake them- then they gathered up what
> fell
> into the blankets.
> My experience with trees in general would say they probably got a lot of
> bugs,
> sap, and other junk... but it is a pituresque image!
> -brid

Picturesque it may be, but pleasant.  Today you pull your pick up off the
road, spread your old burlap bags under the pines, and knock the pinecones
off with a broom handle.

In New Mexico, Pinon pines on federal land are open for harvesting (probably
with a permit, I didn't check on that point).  About seven years ago, I got
to watch people harvesting on the federal lands near Pecos National
Monument.

Bear