Jams not period??? (was SC - Mulberry question)

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Jun 4 12:25:18 PDT 1998

Adamantius writes:

> The unfortunate truth appears to be that there are few or no jam
> recipes
> of any kind, from "period". There are a few for preserves that are
> more like fruit cheeses or fruit leather... <snip>

Ack!!!

So then, what is the accepted general belief on the use of preserves in reenacting period cooking?

I have been happily placing my father's prizewinning apricot, berry and plum preserves on my breakfast buffets and have never heard any objection...

... I have always felt that his were "more period" than storebought; if only for the fact that he often grows the produce himself and uses less sugar than commercial jams...

so... should I cease serving preserves, break my heart though it would?

	- k