SC - Keeping eggs

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Fri Jun 5 13:38:17 PDT 1998

Hello the list!

Why is keeping eggs, whether in or out of the fridge, such a problem?
I cover mine in petroleum jelly/Vaseline/ whatever your local term is
and they keep for several months.  When we used to keep
chooks/fowls/chickens we wrote the date on the eggs so we used up
the oldest ones first, but gluts do happen.  I don't think I've ever
had any eggs that were more than 5 months old, but the problem with
eggs is their porosity.  If you fix that, there's no problem.  I
believe lard also does the same job, though have not tried it.
Incidentally, since our fridge died a couple of months ago, we
haven't refrigerated anything (we do have a deep freeze, where I hide
the other half of each litre of milk each day) and have had no
problems.  I'm beginning to wonder about whether these things are
really necessary, except for preventing things going off in seriously
hot weather.  It's really only one or two generations that have had
access to the things after all.  For me, the problem was one of
laziness.  You don't know what to do with something, you chuck it in
the fridge.  Now I have to be organised.  The only real problem is
ensuring that the food is kept away from insects, mice and the cat.

Cairistiona