Horror stories (was Re: SC - Guilty Conscience)

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Fri Jun 5 06:24:49 PDT 1998

Well well,  horror stories.  I only have one and I didn't even do the feast.

I was just in the SCA about a year (maybe a little less) and had never even
helped in a kitchen in the SCA, had no idea about how to research recipes,
nothing!  And I went to a populace meeting in February and we were planning
our next 12th night (biggest event in the Barony).  A lady offered to
Autocrat the thing and I raised my hand and said that I would be glad to
help out in the kitchen.  Next thing I knew I was supposed to be the head
cook.  I did all my research had her a menu by May, but was unable to attend
one of her monthly planning parties she had held and the next thing I knew I
was out of the feast because I wasn't cooperating with her coordination
efforts.  Her husband took over the feast.

The worst part?  They still used all my documentation and recipes and I
didn't get a lick of credit.  I was known as the person who couldn't follow
through with my offer (which was only an offer of help, not be in charge, in
the first place).

Luckily I don't live there anymore and anyone who does, probably doesn't
remember this anyway since the feast went off without a hitch and everyone
loved the feast.  Which, by the way was traditional, not period, because it
was designed as a Russian feast, and I could find NO documentation at that
time.

The good part of this all?  It was determined that I needed experience
before the event so I ended up doing 1 completely period feast (Roman) and
one perioid feast (late French buffet style) for two events and had offers
for me to do three more before I left the Barony.

And now here I am.

Murkial

Christi Redeker
Digital Equipment Corporation