SC - Rice, Pasta, and walking on eggs...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 5 07:59:36 PDT 1998

> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 98 18:43:43 PDT
> From: "Lady Starkiller" <starkiller at picknowl.com.au>
> Subject: Re: SC - Newbie to list.
>
> Sigh. Okay, since you ask, I will lay before you the whole silly scenario, condensed version. There is a 'nazi' in our group, for want of a better term, who believes she knows everything. She recently almost had a coronay because I proved the existence of more styles of clothing and fabrics in our time period (1150-1250) than she had first thought. I've been studying for 9 years. She's been reenacting for 6. She burst into tears, and screamed that I was trying to make her look stupid. Implying of course, that I have nothing better to do, which is absolute rubbish.

Interesting description, that, which calls to mind a simple logical
exercise: all nazis are ignoramuses (arguable, I guess, but I'm prepared
to discuss this privately with anyone who cares to), but not all
ignoramuses are nazis. Perhaps the term "person seriously in need of
counselling or psychotherapy" might be the most appropriate one.

> Ok, a fellow gentlewoman has decided to prove pasta, rice, brie, camembert, etc, etc, and is in the slow process of doing so.She is presenting her findings at a small feast in 2 weeks, which those of us helping out at are very much looking forward to. The 'nazi' in question also believes she is a master chef, yet the mere suggestion of these things existing in our time period sends her into a sulking frenzy, so I am almost frightened of her reacting come the feast.

Well, I implied this earlier, but now I'll say it. This is not your
problem. Anything you do that lends legitimacy to this type of behavior,
or supports it in any way, is simply begging for more. Once you have
been as tactful as possible, and made your point honestly, making every
reasonable attempt to save face and feelings for all concerned, you've
done all that can be expected, and more. If you have to be afraid (I
assume you're exaggerating somewhat) of this lady's reaction, to the
point where everyone else's learning process might be hampered, then it
is harmful to the group to allow it to go on. This is a Bad Thing. (For
those on the trivia diet, can anyone tell me where that expression comes
from?)

> Hence our quandy. We KNOW it was there, and my friend, Lady Isolde, can prove it, and many other things besides (she found your pages invaluable my Lord, BTW), yet we know it is going to cause friction and tension that is really not necessary, especially in view of the fact that we do this for fun and out of a common love of the period.

Would it help to have some brave soul go over the research materials in
private, before the event, with this lady? At least she might be spared
a shock and what she might see as public humiliation. Yes, I think I
know the answer to this one, but it was worth a shot.

BTW, just as a side issue (and imprecision may be partly responsible) I
would advise against trying to prove that X existed, in the sense of
looking for evidence to support a preconceived conclusion. A far better
approach would be to read as much as possible on a subject, and form a
conclusion based on all the evidence. It does rather sound as if the
lady you speak of is using documentation (and possibly not her own) in
place of actual research. I can't imagine many other scenarios where she
would know that wheat was eaten in medieval Europe, without also knowing
pasta and rice were too (well, after the First Crusade, most likely).
The same sources that would document one would presumably document the
others, unless one is looking not at the source, but at documentation.
See what I'm driving at? It's kind of like saying Sir Gawain's life is
spared by the Green Knight, and denying the rest of the story, because
you only read the last page. Since you mention cheeses, I'll point out
that we know places like Brie, Camembert, and Roquefort existed, and
even have reason to assume cheese were made there in period. What I
believe we _don't_ know is that those cheeses bore much resemblance to
the cheeses bearing those names today.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com