SC - Guilty Conscience

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 6 16:12:59 PDT 1998

Gunthar said:

I can understand your feelings. A couple weeks ago I was helping in our Shire's
tavern at Steppes Warlord. I mentioned that I felt rather strange because I've
gotten so into period cooking and preaching it everywhere I go and now I'm
cooking shish-kabobs, sausage on a stick, bbq chuck sandwiches and breakfast
burritos. But these are dishes the tavern has sold for the last 10 years and
it was the last year for the tavern. Making a tavern of period foods would
be interesting but we just didn't have time.
- ----------

We had a recent discussion here that seemed to point to a fair amount of
evidence that shish-kabobs were period, if not a fancy feast meal. I will
be making a file with these sometime. Now, perhaps some of your ingredients
would not be period but the idea seems to be.

And I would expect the sausage on a stick to have period equivalents, although
again, not a fancy feast item.

I will agree that the bbq sandwiches and the breakfast burritos are unlikely
to have a period precendent.

How difficult would it be to add Persian mint drink or some other period
non-alcoholic drink instead of/with the tea and such? This still gives
folks who want the old standbys while introducing some period items. It
also could be done with a minimal extra effort and cost.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(who wishes he were in the select group getting to eat Gunthar's period
meal.)