Jams not period??? (was SC - Mulberry question)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 6 16:32:38 PDT 1998

Adamantius writes:

> The unfortunate truth appears to be that there are few or no jam
> recipes
> of any kind, from "period". There are a few for preserves that are
> more like fruit cheeses or fruit leather... <snip>

Ack!!!

So then, what is the accepted general belief on the use of preserves in
reenacting period cooking?

I have been happily placing my father's prizewinning apricot, berry and plum
preserves on my breakfast buffets and have never heard any objection...

... I have always felt that his were "more period" than storebought; if only
for the fact that he often grows the produce himself and uses less sugar than
commercial jams...

so... should I cease serving preserves, break my heart though it would?

        - k

Prserves and jellies have been discussed here before. The following is one
of several messages about fruit preserves in my fruits-msg file in my Florilegium.

Since both the message above and the one I happened to quote below are
from Adamantius, I'm not sure why the opinions seem to differ. Adamantius,
were you just saying there are no recipes above, not that the food
didn't exist?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net