SC - fermented meat products???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jun 6 21:45:08 PDT 1998

> Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 16:51:49 -0600
> From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
> Subject: SC - fermented meat products???
>
> Fermented meat products? What is this? This sounds like something intentionally
> fermented. Not something that's sat in the refrigerator too long.
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   stefan at texas.net

Ever eat Genoa salami, or any of several other types of dry sausage,
that have a sort of sourish tang? Not unlike the tang of corned beef?
That's lactic acid, which probably originated in these products by
accident, when a lactobaccilus found its way in there. Nowadays the
lactobaccilus is added deliberately so as to give better control of the
process. In short, it's fermented. I always laugh at the commercial
bacteria stuff they add to such sausages, I think it's called something
like "Fermento". Sounds a bad 'un in a comic book ;  )

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com