Latwerge (Was Re: SC - Jellies vs. aspics)

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Mon Jun 8 17:29:20 PDT 1998

Adamantius asked:
>Latwerge, huh? This wouldn't be made from plums, would it? There is a
>thick plum butter found in Poland, I believe, called lekvar. I wonder if
>there's some etymological cognate voodoo going on here...

Well, I don't know Polish or Polish cooking, but Latwerge refers to the
conserve/fruit paste in general. I guess you could make it from plums, but
the only recipes I could find at the spur of the moment were for quinces
and pears. And I swear I thought I saw a cherry recipe somewhere, but I
can't find it now that I want it.

Valoise