Fermented Beverage Recipe Question(was:RE: SC - Michael Scott Shappe <mikey at Hundred-Acre-Wood.com>: Re: [Mid] Society for CREATIVE Anachronism

Knott Deanna Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com
Tue Jun 9 06:12:45 PDT 1998

Greetings,

Your Grace, you wrote something that sparked a question.

for fermented drinks, and most people in the SCA who do fermented drinks
are not even using the 17th century recipes, of which there are a lot (in
Digby).

David Friedman

Now my question is, why are there few surviving recipes?

I have heard that the first *recipe* for bread dates from somewhere in the 14th ot 15th centuries.  This doesn't mean that bread isn't period for earlier times.  I was told that they didn't write a recipe because everyone *knew* how to make bread.  Does this hold true for fermented beverages?  Does the literacy rate amongst the alewives have an effect on this and how most of their knowledge was probably verbal?  Or, is there some other reason (like some crazy people buyrned most of the books with beer recipes in them? hehe)?

Thank you,
Avelina Keyes
Barony of the Bridge
East Kingdom