SC - RE: Fermented Beverage Recipe Question

Tue Jun 9 10:35:30 PDT 1998

> For bread there was a guild which controlled
> apprenticeships, access to
> becomng master, was involved with price control
> (as well as local
> government) and assays.  I doubt 'everyone' knew
> how to make bread -
> <<<<<<<<
>
> And which country and time period was this?  According to my research,
> in early Ireland, there were not baker's guilds, which would be a
> function of a large city.  Until the Vikings came, there were not
> cities, just clan holdings.  I don't think that this was as universal
> as it seems at first.
>
> Tyrca

Guilds are primarily a product of urbanization in the areas originally under
Roman rule.  Ireland was primarily a rural, tribal society operating under
Brehon law rather than Roman law, until the Tudors decided to "civilize" the
place.  I think you will also find that guilds were late in coming to much
of Scandinavia.

England and most of the Continent had guilds and stringent laws.  The legal
requirements differed from region to region.

Bear