SC - preserving meat

Suzanne Berry sberry at primavera.com
Thu Jun 11 06:24:46 PDT 1998

Suzanne Berry at PRIMAVERA
06/11/98 08:24 AM

Hi, folks....

I've just been browsing through the florilegium (thank you, Stefan!)
looking for various ways of preserving things and noticed a mention by
Aoife from April of 97:

   Preserved Beef (after an Apecius--------The beef was kept using
   honey, vinegar, recipe for veal) mustard, salt, and some herbs I
   threw in. This was far and away the winner! The meat was pre-cooked
   and then immersed in the pickle, and kept very well for 3 days (I
   didn't want to be manic about it).

Aoife would you be willing to comment further?   Unfortunately, I
don't have much access to the real sources.  Or does anyone have other
methods other than using "the Lord's Salt?"  I have someone in my
immediate household who cannot abide vinegar, though I have
experimented with "the Lord's Salt" anyway.

Any info or adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Aislinn
(who currently has her dehydrator going 24 hrs a day, making jerky and
dried fruits for Pennsic)

sberry at primavera.com