SC - fruit pressings

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 11 08:41:11 PDT 1998

>Why wouldn't this be true for fruits, too? The fruit gets pressed
>and the juice gets used for something, jelly? and then the resulting
>mush its used for something else. I don't remember exactly what goes
>into jellies as it has been years since I made any. Perhaps the juice
>and some of the pulp goes in the preserves and the rest of the juice
>is fermented? Either way, I doubt the entire produce of the manor
>needed to go into preserves. And if you don't do something with the
>fruit, its going to spoil. Sometimes quickly depending upon the fruit.
>
>Stefan li Rous
>stefan at texas.net

In Italy, when they are done pressing the grapes for wine, they take the
grape squeezings and distill them into a brandy called grappa (my spelling
may be off).  This usually has a proof of anywhere from 80 proof to 100
proof.  IMHO the higher the proof the better it tastes.    The 100 proof is
not easy to find in the U.S.  and it is very expensive.

Angeline

Lady Angeline di Aquila
email:alm4 at cornell.edu
Deputy Seneschal Dominion of Myrkfaelinn
  mka. Angie Malone       mundanely located in Ithaca, NY
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/alm4/