SC - Coffin Pastry

Kerri L Geppert clarelena at juno.com
Thu Jun 11 22:12:45 PDT 1998

I tried making a coffin pastry using the recipe from Traveling Dysshes
but ended up with crumbs - nothing stuck together.
My jinx with pastries continues!  I don't know a lot about working with
doughs/pastry but it seems that the liquid dry ratio isn't
right.  The recipe calls for 4 c. flour with 1/2 c. butter and 1/4 c.
water boiled and then added to the flour.  Even though I adjusted the
liquid, it still didn't work.  Any ideas on what might have happened or
better recipe?  I couldn't find anything in my limited library that
seemed similar.

Oh and for the portrait - I'm a blond with green eyes (does this help the
redhead ratio any?) 14th century English in a sideless surcoat peeping
from behind the rock since I'm always lurking and looking for ways to
learn and help.

I'm off to a war event this weekend.  Our Baroness has asked me to run
the field kitchen, thank goodness it's potluck and all I have to do is
lay out lunch and cook some soups.  I hope the rain stops by tomorrow!
What a yucky May and June we've had in Alaska, I haven't been
able to plant my garden yet!

Thanks,
Lady Clare Elena