SC - Re: sources of sources.

Kallyr at aol.com Kallyr at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 08:23:40 PDT 1998

 RuddR at aol.com wrote:

<< A scenario might go like this:  Somebody who could afford it wanted a new
 cookery book.  A professional scribe (or bookseller's staff of scribes),
could
 do a cut-and-paste of available material, and a "new" cookery book is born,
 come down to us as a primary source.  I suggest that a bookseller, seeing a
 demand for such books, might have had a couple of extra copies made up to
keep
 on hand.  "Mass market production" in the Middle Ages is not to be confused
 with what we now understand by that term.

 There are certainly other scenarios that are also as likely.   >>

Another scenario:  A bookseller has a collection of interesting titles (mostly
NOT cookbooks, probably) and instead of selling the originals, takes
commissions to have them copied.  This version seems more like the way many
luxury goods (boots, jewelry, silver dishes) were produced in period--since
they were so labor intensive, they were not made until ordered.  (We could
still see multiple copies from the same source as word spread that a title
could be had from a given shop...)

Another scenario: An individual hires a scribe to copy a book in his
possession so that the copy can be given as a gift to one he believes will
appreciate it.

~~Minna <KALLYR at AOL.COM>