SC - Kazy, Shuzhuk, & Karta

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Sat Jun 13 21:56:03 PDT 1998

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:55:31 EDT LrdRas at aol.com writes:

>snip<

>OTH, producing recipes from period ingredients without the use of a
period
>recipe can at best be period-like if you have some experience in period
>cuisine. If you lack experince in period cookery, you will have a modern
dish
>using period ingredients. An example would be mayonaise which contains
eggs,
>oil, and vinegar. These are period ingredients but, barring Jeff Smith's
>opinion, whipping them together into a mayonaise would not be
period-like.
>However, frying them in oil and dressing them with vinegar would be
period-
>like.
>I hope this clarifies things a little bit.  If it all sounds rather
confusing
>my apologies. Others with better skills at teaching may be able to
rephrase it
>better.
>Ras

I understand that the ingredients for mayonnaise existed in period but
the combination in the form of mayonnaise did not. I think that my
question should be phrased as "If I have period ingredients and mix them
in the restrictions of the cooking styles of period, but do not base it
on any period recipe, is it period?"

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kingdom of An Tir.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com