SC - Are creations period?

Yumitori no Kiyoshi yumitori at montana.com
Sun Jun 14 10:32:07 PDT 1998

Hai-fu-ku!

> korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:
>
> << "If I have period ingredients and mix them
>  in the restrictions of the cooking styles of period, but do not base it
>  on any period recipe, is it period?" >>
>
> Once again this is a tough question. My gut reaction is to say of course but
> those that see the only "authentic" food as that which is prepared from extant
> recipes would most likely disagree. When I was A&S minister, I was taught that
> if one uses "period" things in a "period" fashion to "create" a "period"
> object in the Cureent Middle Ages then that object was to all intent and
> purposes "period".

	<snip>

> Ras

	The key here lies in the term "period fashion" - given that many times
those who would attempt this are not well grounded in what was provably
done, their results can be problematic. We have had any number of
discussions based on the argument, 'It's logical they would have done
such-and-such'. We always bring our own prejudices into such
determinations, thus possibly missing other, equally logical, options.
Until we become expert in a subject, there will remain a danger in
misinterpreting what a 'period fashion' would be. I think it is quite
instructive that those amongst us on this list who I would consider
expert commonly preface their remarks with comments on where their chief
knowledge lies, and where it does not.

	Yumitori