SC - Jellies vs. aspics

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Sun Jun 14 16:38:33 PDT 1998

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:
>>Pippins are apples, but not like the apples in the grocery store.  They
>>are smaller, and have 	LOTS MORE PECTIN IN THEM!  I added so much
>>gelatin to make the stuff gel, it wasn't funny.

Different apples do have different levels of pectin, but all apples have
quite a lot and are often used to help other fruit set. Did you include the
peel and cores? (you can soak these in water overnight and add just the
liquid) Rather than adding gelatin, you might look at adding pectin. You can
buy it places where they sell stuff to make jam (jars, lids, rings, covers)
and good delis and food halls. It's powdered like some types of gelatin and
comes with instructions for amounts and so on. A useful backup ingredient!

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia