SC - Re: Judging-OT

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 17 11:51:43 PDT 1998

Greetings!  Regarding using judges in areas other than their own
expertise...  It was the first Regional A&S competition I ever entered.
 I had made a sugar paste box, decorated with the arms of the Midrealm
Queen with lots of side decorations of leaves, etc.  I had carefully
shaved down the flat pieces before joining them to make the box, but
some didn't fit too well (sugar paste stretches when you cut it, and
can dry somewhat out-of-shape) so I filled the cracks as best as
possible.  Apparantly they were desperate for judges for sotelties
since one of the three was a woodworking Laurel.  His comment to me
(and one of the best that I ever had) was that the bottom of my box was
poorly finished.  He told me as a woodworker he always turned boxes
over to see how they were finished.  As a "confectioner", I had paid
far more attention to the top (visible) decorations.  I learned a very
good lesson from a non-cooking judge.

Alys Katharine