SC - Are creations period?

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Wed Jun 17 11:12:16 PDT 1998

The point is that if they did something and did write it down, we know
that they did it; if they didn't write it down, we don't know that they did
it.  There are lots of things that they could conceivably have done, and
we have no way of knowing which ones they did do except when we
have records of their doing them.

Not all of the music got written down either. Does it follow that the Star
Spangled Banner is a period piece--since someone could have sung it
but not written it down?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

*****************************

Wise Cariadoc,

Your logic falters in your example.  We DO have documentation of the
writing of both the text and music of The Star Spangled Banner.  Your
point is well taken, but the example a bit too far off.

We CAN assume that people wrote down poems and music and sang
them together.  We have some examples and even secondary sources
on the styles and composition of music in that period.  Same with food
and other arts.  We may not know that "it" WAS done exactly in a
manner we choose, but we can make logical bridges to decisions we
make.

The farther those bridges span, the less stable they become.  Should
we chose North American White Tailed Deer to seve to our guests
rather than the species available in the woodlands of Northumbria, we
are not 'period'...though we are mighty close up next to it.  When we
substitue goat for that same venison, we go way off on some tangent.

The merit or lack of merit for our readactions and improvisation is where
research and argument (premis/conclusion) and thesis come into great
value.  It challenges the cook and those evaluating the cook to weigh
the documentable facts with the assertions made.  WHAT FUN!

Period? No.  An activity to be participated in or even pursued?  I
cojntend yes.......after strong grounding in the fundamentals of the style
chosen to improvise/explore.  One cannot write a Souza March today,
but one can create a March that is Sousan and credibly acceptable to
the music community.

Thank you for giving me inspiration to chew on this.

niccolo difrancesco