SC - venison

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Jun 17 15:02:24 PDT 1998

<< I had not searched for venison because I had understood that selling
 native venison was illegal.  >>

It used to be that raising deer, boar, bear, et al for the table was
illegal in the USA.  Why, I have no idea, as we have such a large and
wonderful fish farm program for re-stocking lakes, streams, etc.  Almost
every state has something like that.  Perhaps some of the societies
devoted to wild life--Audubon, for example--thought game farms were
cruel?  In Germany, and other parts of Europe, they do have them, which
is why there is so much game available on European menus.  The boar farm
near my home used boars and a regular pig sow--but she was HUGE!  Changed
the taste a little, to have the combination of wild and and domestic, but
still, different from pork, and very, very good.  Straight wild boar was
also available to a friend who had a restaurant.

Do any of you Pennsylvanians know the present game comission rules on
sharing or selling the meat that is confiscated from poachers, or on
using fresh road kill?  You could get it, years ago.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com