SC - salt problem

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Sat Jun 20 11:21:18 PDT 1998

sorry for the delay, i am borrowing somebody's backup 14400 spare modem
until i can replace mine...

 I make batches of stock specifically to reduce into a very thick syrup for
using in 'nouvelle cuisine' sauces, and the balance of flavorings after
condensation is picky, when it is reconstituted it tastes different from a
broth stock for soupmaking. Adding verjuice or even almond milk/regular milk
wouldn't really come out as a passable stock. The late French cuisine was
formulated rather differently from the medieval cuisine's stocks.  Cooking
potato in it to absorb the excess salt is also not really an option because
the starches released would cloud the reconstituted stock so that when it
was reconcentrated it would possibly come out like a gravy rather than a
demi-glace. I decided to use it as a food supplement for the dog-
reconstituted it makes the generic dog chow palatable[she was objecting to
the taste and was reticent to eat it, and I REALLY didn't want to throw away
a 50 LB bag of chow]

We just made another batch and I explained to him what we were doing and he
promised to never play in my kitchen without permission ever again. He also
now wants cooking lessons so I will slip in medieval with the 18th cie
stuff.
margali