SC - Re: frozen ravioli/maultaschen

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jun 21 01:21:50 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Allison asks about our ravioles and how we did them.

I believe much would depend on the dough you use, as well as the method of
freezing (as you noted).
We used fresh pasta sheets (containing flour, water, egg and salt). Placed
dollops of filling (cheese and herb, as per Barbara Santiches new book on
The Original Mediterranean Cuisine), seal with a fork. The pasta was fairly
well floured, so when we threw them in the ziplock bag and then into the
freezer, they didnt stick to each other at all. The air was evacuated
(using a straw or a good puckerer) before freezing. They were frozen for
several weeks before use, and thawed in the bag with no problems. Ice
crystal formation can be avoided by limiting the water in the bag, (wax
paper wouldnt do this), and by being sure that the raviolies are totally
dry. If you use water to seal them and then dont let them dry??

thanks for the warning though, I'd hate to blaze in all confident and then
have it flop.
- --AM