SC - creations and creativity

John and Barbara Enloe jbenloe at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 21 09:53:58 PDT 1998

Phillipa:
	Small mead is a low alcohol honey-based product.  We do not stabilize the
wine, so the yeast remains active creating pressure in the bottle which
results in a "sparkling" product. (Requiring that the corks be wired down
or the use of caps and that champagne bottles be used to prevent
exploding.)  After reading up on melomels, I wanted to experiment to see if
the flavor of a fruit (cherry) could be "steeped" into a small mead to add
a dimension to its flavor without requiring a greatly increased aging
period. (Our regular small mead is ready in about a month to three
depending on the fermentation temp.)  I was right in assuming the aging
would take longer; about 6 months before the flavors "blended" and lost the
sharp yeast taste.  It is very dry, but tasty.  (No wonder the judges
thought I didn't know WHAT I was talking about in describing my own wine;
the cherry wine I entered at the same time as the cherry small mead was
almost cordial-sweet.)  Lesson learned:  Never enter two products with
similar ingredients.

Does this give you the info you required???

Ania