SC - Sourdough

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Jun 21 17:42:50 PDT 1998

<<As it still smells yeasty, I'm going to give it a try. But I am concerned
about the "sealed/not sealed" storage question. Can those of you with
successful starters give me your opinions on this?>>

Greetings My lady!
     I have kept my starter sealed for convenience against spillage.  It
worked just fine.  The "keep covered w/cheese cloth" would work better out of
the fridge (as in "the olden days".) because the starter was helped along by
the microbes floating in the air. A cheese cloth covering is not as tightly
sealed as a lid and would permit microbes in (usually a good thing) but in a
modern fridge, the starter could dry out or become somewhat dehydrated covered
only with a cheese cloth because uncovered food tends to dry out in a fridge.
    Well, just my 2 cents!  Have  a good week.  Phillipa