SC - Mulling recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jun 20 18:56:14 PDT 1998

R. Trigg wrote, quopting someone or other...:

> > They are still used in Europe, particularly in England to heat beer served
> > in
> > the pubs.
>
> ? Do you mean they are used to mull the beer? I ask because when I was in
> college all too many years ago, I spent some time in England and contrary
> to popular belief, their beer is *not* (automatically) served warm. Even
> the country pubs had chilled beer.

Chilled, yes, but not usually to the ice-cold temperature preferred by
Yanks. Ale has been heated for different types of washael bowls,
lambswool, etc, since the Dark Ages. A mulling iron is still
occasionally used for mulled stout, which is a slightly different
animal: basically it is heated by plunging a cherry-red hot poker in it,
heating it overall and caramelizing still further the sugars in the
stout (English stout is generally sweeter than Irish types), resulting
in a warm, foamy beverage of stout with overtones of toasted
marshmallow, if you can imagine such a thing. Pretty darned good on a
snowy evening, actually!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy