SC - lettuce

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 21 23:14:01 PDT 1998

Bonne comments and then asks about period lettuces:

>now, somewhere I learned that iceberg lettuce was developed in the early days
>of the california mega-farm industry.  It was developed to be shipped east by
>train in cars kept cool with huge chunks of ice. I'm pretty sure that butter
>crunch and boston lettuce are recente developments as well.  What might be a
>more period choice?  Romaine?  Endive?

There has been some good comments on period salads and some period recipes/
directions for salads given here on this list. You might take a look at this
file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium, however I don't remember any
specific sources cited for the comments that iceburg lettuce was not period.

salads-msg        (91K)  3/30/98    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net