SC - creations and creativity

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jun 22 12:05:05 PDT 1998

Your comments are good, but there are at least a few things that I can
see that are not possible in my area, and I don't know where the original
poster is from.
> Be with your work during judging, and  question the
>judges about why they judged the way they did.
We have gone to a judging criteria that does not allow this.  It assures
anonymity, but it does mean you have no other recourse than to document
as best you can, present your entry in it's best light, and cross your
fingers.  We encourage our judges to sign their names, so that entrants
can find them after the fact and get clarification.

 > If you don't think they knew what they were talking about, find a
person whose judgement you trust  to look at the work and give you an
opinion.  If your secure in your research  and work you did, defend it
and explain your position.>

This is excellent advice, but will not often help in a contest situation.
 You are at the mercy of the chosen judges of the contest on that day
(kind of like Crown List, eh?).

>The other thing to keep in mind is that no one has ever been taught
>how to do judging at an A&S competition.  Maybe they should be.
>Noemi

Before every regional and Kingdom A&S contest we have, there is a Judges
Meeting (usually very early, yawn!)  In it, the criteria are explained,
as well as suggestions (such as Start with a Positive Comment).  We have
also had separate classes regarding entering and judging A&S
competitions.  If you can get a book to study the SAT's, why not study
for these?  On a few occaisions, we have had a Judges' Reception after
Court, sort of a cocktail party for the entrants and the Judges, so that
they can find one another and share comments and details.  I always think
that encouraging communication is a good idea.  And I have often learned
a lot by being a judge, and wish to speak to an entrant to learn more.  (
I can't tell you how many times I have scarfed the documentation and
taken it home!)

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies