SC - Re: seeking recipes (Outdoor Feast)

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Tue Jun 23 18:26:48 PDT 1998

Someone requested tricks for cooking over a fire.  I have a few, but some are
period and some are not.

1.  Try cooking potatoes and corn in the coals.  Don't forget to punch holes in
the potatoes or they explode.  The potatoes can be buried in the coals or
wrapped in foil (not period, I know) before going into the coals.  The corn can
go in husked or in foil.

2.  Make a small oven by wrapping a box inside and out with foil and putting hot
coals in the back.

3.  Make bacon and eggs over a fire by wrapping foil around a forked stick.

4.  Get a big piece of flat slate.  Put it up on a few rocks to make a flat
surface and build your fire underneath.  You can either place pots and pans on
top as a stove or butter it up and use the surface as a griddle.

5.  If you are in an area where you have no hot running water and/or soap, try
boiling water in your pots and pans to clean them.

6.  To make your pots and pans easier to keep clean at the end of the night, try
coating the outside with dish soap before putting them on the fire so the black
soot cleans off better.

7.  When roasting beef or venison on a spit, wrap it in bacon after you season
it to help keep it moist and cut down on the basting.

8.  Make firestarters for damp camping mornings by putting sawdust in cardboard
egg cartons and topping them with melted parafin wax (or any wax suitable for
candles).  Then throw one or two into the firepit under the kindling, light it
up, and throw your logs on.

I probably can think of half a dozen more, but not tonight.  Be well, and I will
write more later.

Brenna of Lyonsbane