SC - Dutch ovens-etomology

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 19:36:34 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/23/98 5:53:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bjorn9 at juno.com
writes:

<< It is my understanding  that the expression  "Pennsylvania Dutch" was
 never intended
 as derogatory. >>

This is correct.  I don't think that I mentioned any correlation between using
the word "Dutch" in the manner you mention (which is a legitimate use of the
word in it's original meaning) with the use of the word "Dutch" as a
derogatory term whose meaning was bastardized by the general population.  I do
not believe that there is sufficient justification in assuming the meaning of
the word "Dutch" as used in most common phrases (at least common in my region
of the USA) would automatically lead to the conclusion that those using the
phrases were speaking of "Germans."  Indeed, quite the contrary, IMO.

Ass, Chinaman, and cherry come to mind immediately as examples.  When these
words are used "formally" they designate an animal, a national and a fruit.
When used by the "populace" in an informal manner their meanings become
changed and derogatory.

What I am suggesting is that it may be a more logical step to assume that the
dutchoven most likey got it's name from the meanings of the word "Dutch" as
used by the general population.

Ras