SC - Sourdough

Wed Jun 24 12:35:46 PDT 1998

> >   And the New
> > Professional Chef has a commercial recipe which starts with four
> > pounds of
> > flour for the starter.
>
> Would it be possible to get that recipe from you? That's just about what
> I'll need for this Saturday. I'm doing a feast for 60 at St. Jerome's
> Study, all recipes redacted from Forme of Cury.... trying my best to
> convert Trimaris to the idea of actually eating "period" food. I have
> everything except a bread recipe chosen, have tested a couple but am not
> satisfied with them, and really wanted to do sourdough,even tho Cury
> doesn't mention it.Please????
> Ceridwen
> ceridwen at commnections.com

Sourdough Starter (from the New Professional Chef)

4 pounds  Hard Wheat Flour
2 1/4 pounds water (70 degrees F)

Blend the flour and water until just combined.
Place in a food grade plastic bucket or stainless steel bowl.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to ferment 24 to 48 hours.

8 ounces of the starter will leaven about 3 pounds of dough.
NPC recommends boosting the 3 pounds dough with 1/4 ounce of compressed
yeast.
A loose starter will ferment faster than stiff starter.

Have fun.

Bear