SC - RE: creativity vs. blatant disregard

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Fri Jun 26 09:24:06 PDT 1998

::watching the burners heat up to flame::

Creativity/creation, what an interesting topic.  I try to document 95% of
all recipes I serve, so I understand the need for that.  But I always wonder
if changes to the recipes weren't as period as the recipes themselves.  When
I make a recipe at home and run out of an ingredient, if it is not integral
to the recipe itself (such as one spice out of 20) I may substitute one for
another, or I may leave it out all together.  Sometimes when I read a recipe
in a cook book, I will not like the ratio of spices or ingredients used and
I change them.  I have a hard time believing that period cooks did not do
the same.

On the other hand, I do have an issue with using non-period items in a dish
for a period feast.  I do not understand the "well these record show that
they were shipped into so & so on this date"  I always want proof that it
was used.  I may change a period recipe around a bit, but I would never use
an ingredient that wasn't available and proven as a food item for period.

Now, Noemi, there's wishy-washy for you.

Murkial

Christi Redeker
Compaq Computer Corporation
Colorado Springs, Colorado