SC - OT Creativity Changes

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 26 12:07:56 PDT 1998

Based solely on my own perspective I don't see this as a bad thing. But
then I get my kicks from striving towards doing things right. The long
term (say, within the next two centuries :-) goal is to have
*everything* just right. The fun is trying, learning, and making.

- --UlfR

<<<<<<<<

I think the problem  others are addressing is  the feeling  of 'I  am
right, and you are  wrong'.   In the 60's when the society began,
there was a feeling of acceptance for  everybody's way of  doing
things.  There were not those  trying to force their opinions  on
others.

I  admit that I do not appreciate  the Friday night drunks in
tattered tabards, but  they  recreate  what  they want,  and so  do I.
  We do not  have "period police" even when it  seems that we should.
We accept  the newcomers, burned-out oldtimers, obsessive "only  one
right way" re-creationists, and lazy "this is good enough" drunks.
All  are a  part  of us,  and all  should be cherished  as such.  We
have a place for everyone.   That's what I think  about  creativity
vs re-creation.  Both have their place.

I am  not trying to flame  Ulfr specifically. I  have  seen  a repeat
of this attitude  in several places.  I think that  the reason we
feel  so  comfy  "under  the rock" is that  acceptance  that I see  as
necessary  in the  SCA.   If  competitions make you uncomfortable,
don't enter.  If  you want to maintain a more exacting creation  than
your neighbors at camp, please do so  without  a  snobbish attitude.
You are enjoying yourself,  allow  that  privilege  to  others.

Tyrca