SC - OT Creativity Changes

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Fri Jun 26 12:34:32 PDT 1998

The following questions answered are my opinion.  If I offend, too bad, I will shower
later.

>    Our questions centered around how we have gained and how we have lost
> considering these factors.  By being able to purchase items, does that
> decrease a person's motivation for doing? (either making or bartering).

No.  I am an absolutely horrible artist, but I learned to carefully trace artwork and
learn even some freestyle drawing so that I can embroider more easily.  It does not
decrease my motivation for doing OR purchasing, should I find a drawing for sale I
would be happy to purchase, knowing full well I can't replicate it.

> Does the pursuit of exact reproductions drive people away from trying to
> (cook a feast, make a project, make a wine, which is our personal love) due
> to lack of time, resources, a fear of not meeting "the standards" or
> perhaps just wanting to have fun doing something different?

NO NO NO!  I do things like cook because I like it, I attempt (note the attempt)
period dishes because I like to be challenging in my cooking, same way as taking, say,
a professional cooking class, or a cake decorating class, or learn to cook a style of
food, like Chinese or Indian.  (my spouse is a good example-he loves armor, and just
purchased a suit off a friend who had to quit, even though he makes armor he has never
had experience in this style of armor, so it was a good way to learn how made by doing
the repairs and seeing how it moves and improving on it)  Perhaps there are people out
there who are weak, who are actually afraid to try an "exact reproduction" once in
their life, and they will never know if they don't try!

>         All debates of where the name of our Society came from and what is the
> definition of the "Dream" put aside;  Are we moving from "re-creating the
> Middle Ages as they might have been" (per the Known World Handbook pg. 1),
> "striving to recapture the ambiance of the Middle Ages and Renaissance", to
> ... researching and reproducing the Middle Ages as they were?

d;) all of the above?  Depends on the person.  I know people who fit in each and all
of those descriptions!

>         Have we moved from living the Dream to attending a graduate-level history
> class?

can't afford graduate school, but never felt like it . . . .:)

Elisabreath (hopping off the soapbox shaped like a donut cause its more fun that way
on a dull afternoon at work . . .)