SC - creations and creativity

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 26 16:36:57 PDT 1998

At 1:14 PM -0600 6/15/98, Mary Morman wrote:
>my problem however is the current A&S standards.  My kingdom (the
>Outlands) and to the best of my knowledge most kingdoms, have a checklist
>that they go through in rating A&S entries.  One of the categories is
>creativity.  Last fall one of my apprentices did a masterful redaction of
>a period recipe complete with extensive documentation and very tasty
>results.  However, she was marked -down- for not being 'creative' in
>working with her recipe.  The insinuation was that if she had added some
>additional ingredients or a different cooking method then her score would
>have been perfect.  This was not by any means the first time that i've had
>to deal with this.
>
>What's our suggested course of action?
>
>elaina

Avoid competitions?

Seriously, that is my solution.  You can get caught up in detailed
standards and arguing with ignorant judges and worrying about who is better
than whom, at events to which everybody comes in garb despite the whole
thing feeling as 20th-century as one can possibly get, or you can skip the
whole thing and try to find other occasions for showing people the neat
things you have found/done, discussing sources, learning what other people
are doing, and so on.  I prefer the latter--and have on occasion organized
a Cook's Collegium or a Musician's Day for that purpose.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook