SC - Competitions?

Margritte margritt at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 27 08:29:16 PDT 1998

>>3. I can "specialize" to some extent. Right now, I'm on a candy-making
>>kick. It's kinda hard to turn that into a complete feast.
>
>   Course you can.  Advertise it as a medieval candy-fest and I can
>guartunee that there would be a few bookings.  It might not have the
>attendance of Pensic, but it would be - interesting- to see.
>-Sianan

>Marina Denton
>sianan at geocities.com

Well, let's see here... Looking through some of my recipes I find:

To make Collops like Bacon of Marchpane.
Take †ome of your Marchpane Pa†te, and work it in red Saunders till it be
red, then rowl a broad †heet of white Pa†te, and a †heet of red Pa†te,
three of the white, and four of the red, and †o one upon another in mingled
†orts, every red between, then cut them overthwart, till it look like
Collops of Bacon, then dry it.
A Queen's Delight or The Art of Pre†erving, Con†erving and Candying,
printed for Nathaniel Brook, 1654.

and...

A most delicate & †tiffe †ugar pa†te whereof to ca†t Rabbets, Pigeons, or
any other little birde or bea†t, either from the life or carued molds.
Fir†t di††olue I†ingla††e in faire water or with †ome Ro†ewater in the
latter ende, then beate blanched almonds as you woulde for marchpane
†tuffe, and drawe the †ame with creame, and Ro†ewater (milke will †erue,
but creame is more delicate) then put therein †ome powderéd sugar, into
which you may di††olue your I†ingla††e beeing fir†t made into gellie, in
faire warme water (note, the more I†inngla††e you put therein, the †tiffer
your worke will prooue) the hauing your rabbets, woodcocke, &c. molded
either i plaister from life, or el†e carued in wood (first annointing your
wooden moldes with oyle of †weete almonds, and your plaister or †tone
moldes with barrowes grea†e) poure your †ugar-pa†te thereon. A quarte of
creame, a quarterne of almonds, 2. ounces of I†ingla††e, and 4 or 6. ounces
of †ugar, is a rea†onable good proportion for this †tuffeŠ You may dredge
ouer your foule with crums of bread, cinnamon and †ugar boiled together,
and †o they will †eeme as if they were ro†ted and breaded, Leach & gelly
may be ca†t in this manner. This pa†te you may al†o driue with a fine
rowling pin, as †mooth & as thin as you plea†e; it la†teth not long, &
therefore it mu†t be eaten within a fewe daies after the making thereof. By
this meanes a banquet may bee pre†ented in the forme of a †upper, being a
verie rare and †trange deui†e.
Delightes for Ladies, by Sir Hugh Plat, 1609.

I'm sure there are others as well, so maybe a "complete" feast _could_ e
made out of candies. But I won't be the one to try it  :-)

BTW- if any of the characters come out looking strange on your screen, they
are probably long esses.

Enjoy!

- -Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - Celtic Jewelry & More...

Bringing the Past to Life with timeless designs inspired by an
Age of Romance and Chivalry. Check out our web site at:
<http://maclain.home.mindspring.com>
Or email us at <mailto:gryphons.moon at mindspring.com>