SC - Re: Competitions

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 29 05:19:47 PDT 1998

'Twas written:
>>3. I can "specialize" to some extent. Right now, I'm on a
>>candy-making kick. It's kinda hard to turn that into a complete
>>feast.

And Sianan replied:

>  Course you can.  Advertise it as a medieval candy-fest and I can
>guartunee that there would be a few bookings.

Actually, you could use a "period" term for the medieval candy-fest and
call it a "banquet".  Or "samples from a banquet".  In Tudor and Stuart
times the banquet was what we call the "dessert course" and contained
candies as well as numerous other items.  Markham, I believe, has a
listing of things necessary for a banquet.  These always included
marchpanes (as the center attraction), preserved and candied fruits,
seeds, sweetened "breads" such as biscuits (twice-cooked "cookies"),
etc.

Alys Katharine