When did they start aging wine? (was Re: SC - creations and creativity)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 29 09:36:53 PDT 1998

At 1:31 AM -0600 6/29/98, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>The young, small ale drunk
>by the majority of folks in period will likely lose out to the fine,
>aged wine drunk by an extemely small portion of the populace.

I was recently reading a biography of Pepys (late 17th century). The author
said that the use of corks was just coming in at the time, and associated
that change with the introduction of aged wines. Of course, wines could be
aged earlier in the cask, but the implication semed to be that it was only
with the introduction of corked bottles that long aging, concern about
vintages, etc. appeared.

Does anyone know what the facts on this are? Is the "extremely small
portion" actually zero in our period?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/