SC - Camp Splitting

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 07:49:24 PDT 1998

Sounds good, but what do you about sound traveling on
a still night? I
know at Pennsic, you can hear drums from Tuchux hill
out at the end of
the Serengeti. It you have never been to Pennsic,
it's a long way!
That's one of the reasons I haven't been to Pennsic
in 4 years. And I'm
going back this year! I still can't believe I let
them talk me into it!
:-)

Julleran

<<<<<<<<<

As a matter of fact, I found the distant sound of drums and parties at
Pennsic less distracting and disturbing than the highway noises by the
side, with the big trucks honking their horns from one end of the camp
to the other as they pass.  And I find the sound of drums less noisy
than living in a city with neighbors close, loud car speakers, sirens,
airplanes, and so forth.

When camping at any SCA event (and I have done Pennsic twice, but I
live fairly far from Pennsylvania) I usually put my kids to bed at
dark, because it is so much harder to watch them after that.  Then I
switch off with members of the camp staying close, or wandering to
parties, or visiting friends from other kingdoms.  I do get disturbed
if a party erupts right outside the tent where my children are
sleeping (they are now 9 and 7) but other than that, I don't mind.  If
revelers get a little noisy near my kids, I quietly find one of them I
know, or one that looks more sober than the others, and politely ask
them to move down a little, as my children are asleep.  I have never
yet been disappointed by rudeness or refusal.
  If the lady or gentleman asking acts like a lady or gentleman, there
are few (if any) of our gentles in the SCA that will not respond in
kind.  And if one or two are "mouthy" or rude, the others quickly
bundle him/her up and hurry them away, apologizing as they go.  I do
not see parties or drumming as a real problem (which is good because
it looks like I will be in Ansteorra to stay!)  I like it here, and
apologize to those who may be offended by our joyful spirit.

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"