SC - Pine nuts

Mon Jun 1 19:25:51 PDT 1998

> In a message dated 6/1/98 8:21:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Kallyr at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << Maybe your pinenuts are getting strong due to rancidity?  Resinous (as
> in
> the
>  flavor of Retsina) is not a flavor I associate with pinenuts.
>   >>

> Hmmm.........possibly. But the Retsina thing was what I am tasting. It is
> not
> overpowering but merely a hint on the palette in the finish. But rancid is
> possibility since I have apparently never tasted a "fresh" pinenut. In the
> amounts I use them, this is rather peculiar. ;-(
>
> Ras

I've had some pine nuts go bad.  It took a lot of heat and time to get that
way, but I didn't notice them being particularly resinous tasting.  The were
mostly bitter and woody.  It may be some resin got into the package while
they were being processed.  A good pine nut is softer than most nuts and has
a delicate, nutty flavor which is strong enough to add flavor to a dish, but
not overpowering.

For a nice fish sauce (Greek, and probably period), heat a cup of
pomegranate juice, thicken it with bread crumbs, and stir in about three
tablespoons of pine nuts.

Bear