Grains of Paradise(was:RE: SC - Juniper berries

Wed Jun 3 06:09:06 PDT 1998

> BTW:  Does anyone out there know the botanical name for them?  I might be
> able to get them in without a whoel lot of fuss and heartache if I can
> wrangle a supplier here in Australia.  Doesn't help that I can't find a
> match in any of the books.
>
> -Sianan

> ****
> Marina Denton
> sianan at geocities.com

Grains of paradise are the seeds of Aframomum melegueta, although the term
has been used for cardamom (I believe the two plants are related).

If you have problems with customs, you might point out that grains of
paradise is one of the spices used to flavor Samuel Adams Summer Ale.

Bear