SC - Roots

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Jun 3 10:18:11 PDT 1998

                      RE>>SC - Roots                               6/3/98

<<  The proximity to the road is my concern.  And after reading the posts
regarding the toxicity factors, I don't know if I will ever eat anything from
my own yard again! >>

I don't know how many people have driven through the agricultural parts of
California, but if you saw how much of your produce is grown, you might stop
eating it!  Fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. are all grown on properties that
butt right up against major freeways and highways.  There is no attempt to
protect the produce from emissions from the vehicles and run-off from the
roads.
If you have added lots of new clean material to your old dirt, and are not
getting direct water run-off from the road, I'd plant a border of something
tall and bushy to act as a screen against dust and emissions (maybe cosmos and
love-in-a-mist?), and just do your gardening, if you aren't adding lots of
pesticides, your plants are going to be as safe as anything that you get in
the store.
- -brid