SC - Pork Loin in Wine Sauce

Wed Jun 3 16:39:24 PDT 1998

I got energetic for supper last night.  Here's the results.

Bear

Cormarye.  Take colyaundre, caraway smale grounded, powdour of peper and
garlec ygrounde, in rede wyne; medle alle thise togyder and salt it.  Take
loynes of pork rawe and fle of the skyn, and pryk it wel with a knyf, and
lay it in the sawse.  Roost whan thou wilt, & kepe that that fallith therfro
in the rostyng and seeth it in a possynet with faire broth, & serve it forth
with the roost anoon.

Curye on Inglysch IV. 54.

Having a boneless, 2 pound pork loin roast handy, I took 1 teaspoon
coriander, 1 teaspoon caraway, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and crushed them in a
mortar.  I added them to 1/2 cup burgundy along with 3 cloves of minced
garlic and 1 teaspoon salt.  I marinated the pork in this for about 1 hour.

The meat was cooked in a covered roasting dish with the marinade and about
1/2 cup chicken stock at 350 degrees F until a meat thermometer showed an
internal temperature of 170 degrees (about 1 hour 20 minutes).

I choose not to make the sauce, although I did dampen the served meat with
some of the drippings.

The meat cooks up moist with a delicate flavor enhanced by the marinade.  I
believe the flavor would be improved by a longer marinating time, at least 4
to 6 hours in my opinion.

The marinade is quick and easy to make and produces a better flavored pork
roast than many modern recipes.  I will experiment with it further in the
future.