SC - Re: Grains of Paradise

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 3 22:16:38 PDT 1998

> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 09:21:24 +1000
> From: Robyn Probert <robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au>
> Subject: Re: SC - Re: Grains of Paradise
>
> Adamantius wrote:
>
> >Afrimomum melegueta or cardamomum melegueta, depending on who you talk
> >to. Just to make the issue even more crystal clear, there are types of
> >chillies called melegueta peppers, also, presumably unrelated.
>
> Biology hat on again....

<taxonomy overview snipped>

> There can be confusion because some common plants and animals were given
> species names before the whole system was really worked out and
> occassionally someone does some work which means something has to be
> re-classified. On the whole it is a logical and useful system and makes
> reading Culpeppers etc a lot easier!

That was more or less my point. For whatever reason, some authorites /
sources disagree as to the proper botanical name, but regardless, I
don't think they're talking about two different plants. In the case of
the African variety of chili pepper known as melegueta pepper, it's
pretty clearly unrelated to grains of paradise, for practical purposes.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com