SC - Horror Stories

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Jun 5 07:57:37 PDT 1998

>The moral for me. . .I want to be the only cook in the kitchen and I
>reserve the right to roast anyone who comes in with an interruption like
that again.
>Noemi

Now, now, I understand the wanting to do away with extraneous cooks part,
but emergencies happen, and you wouldn't want people ignoring their
property to blithely go on eating, would you?  In a situation like that,
make lemonade.  How about a midnight buffet?  Lots of folks are hungry a
few hours after being stuffed at dinner.  Or, how about a really full
breakfast?
	Last year, we had a feast that was going along pretty well, but
when Halle-Bopp became visible, half of the diners were out looking at
the heavens.  I think that the feastcrat had more leftovers than were
expected, but how often do we get to see such wonders?
	I have been the coordinating cook for a few events (Executive
Feastcrat was the title I used), and it worked out very well.  These have
been events that were over 3-day weekends, and one had 7 different meals,
with a different feast team for each one.  Each cook had an entire meal
to do, though, so there was continuity from one course to the next.
My job was to compile menus and shopping lists, order the bulk of the
food, check it in when it got delivered to site (how nice that was!  The
site had a regular Sysco delivery, and we used their account), separate
and lable things to their appropriate meals and cooks, and oversee the
whole process.  I did not allow myself to be one of the feastcrats
myself, because I wanted to be able to step in if needed in an emergency,
and not burn myself out in the process.  It worked out very well, even
though we had one cook make a mess of the kitchen to the point of having
to shovel it out at the end of his shift.  (His last feast here.) No one
had more than one meal to produce, and I think everyone enjoyed
themselves (feastcrats included).  It can be done, and I think with that
many meals going, it has to be done in a manner similar to the above.
Different cooks in the same meal?  Sure, but as you found out, it has to
have Someone in Charge.
(Is that the inner Pelican in me speaking out?  Hm, maybe it and my inner
child should go for nap time now...)

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies