SC - exotic flies etc.

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Fri Jun 5 17:42:19 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:

> Euroil said...

> >Back in the early 80's, I remember when California (particularly the Bay Area)

> >was devastated by the medfly. I can remember the helicopters flying overhead

> >spraying malathyon(sp?). A few years later Washington had same type of

> >problem with the Apple Maggot. These infestations were not just a little

> nuisance, but a severe threat on the local agriculture.

> > >Medfly traps are still being monitored today to minimize the effects of another

> >possible infestation.

> I also remember the Gypsy Moth as well from that time frame. We were

> required on exit from a campground to take our tents out of the car, unpack

> them, and prove that we weren't carrying any of the critters back with us to

> civilization! As well, if I remember correctly they came to us by way of

> ...yes you guessed it...the States! :)

Ah, now you know why the Australian Quarantine officers get paranoid

occasionally. We are thankfully free of Asian Gypsy Moth (AGM), and

most fruitflies.  We have a $.5M trapping progam set in place to stop

the entry of exotic fruit flies and AGM at ports and container yards.

These are

among many of the programs in place to try to protect Australian

agricultural

industries from exotic pest and disease incursions.

Sorry, I get carried away, you just pushed all my work buttons; I work

for the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service, in the plant

protection office, and administer and audit the EFF and AGM trapping

programs..

Kiriel

stepping off her soapbox... and searching for a friendly rock.